The overuse of emoticons and other things you probably shouldn't say  

Posted by Plain Jane in , , ,

For the record, I have gone out on a few dates so far. A couple have even been fun (shocking, I know).  And if I am to blog about the bad, its only fair I blog about the good. So here is the good. Two guys, we'll call them Regis and the Behaviorist, have caught my eye. We've been talking pretty regularly. Regis and I have been on two pretty successful dates. I know I like him as a person and I don't mind sharing my limited free time with him - so I think that means something. Are the sparks? Chemistry? I don't know yet. I'm on the fence. I'm hoping some clarity will come soon. The other guy: the Behaviorist, sounds like a cool guy. More than cool, he actually sounds a lot like me, the good parts, anyway. We haven't met yet and I know all too well that sometimes what's on paper isn't truly representative of real life. But I remain cautiously optimistic.

But we all know the reason for this blog is to share the absurdities of the online dating world. I mean, that is the entertaining part after all. And I will not disappoint today because I have a couple of gems to share. These are all from Skout (things have slowed down at okcupid)

Wow [enter my name here, which he spelled wrong, btw] you are beautiful (13 emoticons of kissing lips).  Another message a little later on that day with 3 more emoticon kissing lips. 
Then: "me gustaria hacerte el amor" which translates into: "I would like to make love to you" [apparently he thought it sounds better in Spanish].

How about this one:
I'm sure I am "out of your league" but I'm not here for all that just looking to chat so if you ever wanna talk get to know one another hit me up." [If you’re not looking for that, why does it matter what ‘league’ I am in? And more than that, don’t call attention to yourself like that! You are show casing with big bright flashing lights the fact that you have flaws. Not really the best first impression. Also, when you say these things you are telling the person you aren’t confident – a big turn off for most everyone].

-and-

Hey pretty how are you doing hope your having a great day you really look so gorgeous I will like to know you better. [Is punctuation a lost art? No seriously. Is it?]

Hey how r u? U r pretty cute and would like to get to know u if you wanna do the same, just hit me back :-) [I hate text speak. It drives me crazy. U should b less lazy and just type it out. And for crying out loud, use periods and commas!]

Now how about some messages with a little interaction:

Him: "Waw. I like woman fat and have belly."
Me: "I doubt women enjoy being called fat though, so you might rethink your approach." [Sheesh.  Seriously? Women rarely like being called fat. The whole "BBW" name was invented because it is soooo much better then saying, “Hey fat girl. I love the extra poundage. Let’s have sex!”]
Him: "yeah I know. I like ur body."
Me:
"Thanks. I think."


Him: "Hey would you give me an honest rating out of 10 if I send you a pic obviously. lol."
Me: "Um, I guess? [Because how can I not see where this goes? In all honesty, I was thinking it was going to be an inappropriate picture (you all know the body part I am talking about), but it didn't up being that. It was an entirely appropriate picture of him (a solid 7, btw). I am getting cynical…or perhaps I just know the kind of people this app attracts. Of course I assume all things sexual.]
Him: "Are open minded? ..... I have a different kinda fantasy, might make you laugh." [And there it is. Sexual fantasies; I knew it would be something sexual. Oh I am looking forward to this...But I'm just scared you might judge me or make fun of me for it." [I would never judge someone for their personal preferences! Well, never to their face anyway. But on the mocking block, all bets are off]
Me: "I see. Well, you'll never know until you say it."
Him: "Ok well I love it when white people are racist to me." [wait. what?] "it actually turns me on. I firmly believe that whites are the superior race and have my reasons, but yeah it also turns me on.” [Well, that was unexpected] It took me a long time to come up with a reply. I mean, what does one say to that? I went for diplomatic and told him that was a unique fantasy I’d never hear of before. And then I blocked him.

One more of mine: 

 [Just looking at my eyes. Wow. I wonder if I showed him other body parts what would happen.]

Here are a couple from Agent Blue. I think this one is from Okcupid:

 [A nice round plump booty. Well, I suppose that's a compliment. For someone. But its good to know he isn't just asking because of the booty. He likes her insides too.]


[Who needs to talk at all when you can be friends with benefits? Or better yet...silent friends with benefits.]

 [Agent Blue told me to relay that all of these messages came one right after the other. She didn't even have time to respond to the first hello. Good god man, calm down!]

Another friend of mine (Agent Sparkle) will also be contributing material. We are branching out though because she isn't doing online dating, but real life dating. Nightclubs, bars....all the great places for inappropriate men to converge and harass women. It will be exciting. I will write her stories soon.


 OLD never disappoints. Ever.

-PJ

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at Tuesday, May 19, 2015 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment