Lesson #322: The Overuse of Compliments  

Posted by Plain Jane in ,

The world of OLD is as interesting as ever. I have been talking to many men, but only one left a lasting impression. Unfortunately, it did not work out how I wish it had. I guess that's just par for the course online. Or in dating, in general I suppose.

But on to the next.....

I got a message from this guy, "Hey your profile is very interesting to me. You seem very grounded which I find very attractive. I believe we are looking for the same things. We should definitely chat and go from there. [if only he had stopped there] I've also noticed that you are a Gemini women and I an Aquarius man. Let's see what the starts say about us...we're supposed to be a great fit." Really? Really? Either he looked it up, which was just a bad idea, or he already knew this, which I find weird. Nonetheless,  I can forgive that last line. I can. I mean, people try (but usual fail) to be witty and rememberable in their messages; stand out from the crowd. It's the line is his profile that
really makes him stand out, though not as he hopes, I think. Under the "I'm Really Good At" section: "Flirting with my date. Cooking. Romance.....geek by day, rockstar by night. I'm also really good at sex and pleasuring my partner." Yes, that last line really shows your romantic side.

This other guy wrote out the lyrics to "Take Your Time" by Sam Hunt (and then "modified by [name] to make you smile." It was...unique. And then a day later (because I had yet to respond to Song Guy), he writes me a very, very long message. Which, wasn't bad, but was kind of cheesy.

The highlights:
"I was about to say you had a great smile. But then I knew it would not truly convey all I was thinking, so I would go on to say that your eyes look amazing too. This would have led me to say your hair being as great as the past two compliments. But then what if I was asked if that was all? [who would ever really ask that?]. I just could not leave anything out. So I would need to sum it up with WOW.........Well, I was just going to stop here [God, I really wish you had], but I was just remembering how the whole note passing thing we did as kids was significantly easier than a long email like this. So I thought I would try that too [you think to much]: If you like me check the box
YES [_]  NO [_]  MAYBE [_].   I remember the good old times when this is all it took to know if a cute girl liked you. I miss how easy we had it. [Well, you made it hard on yourself by composing new lyrics to a song and then writing a long email. A simple message would have sufficed.]

Hmmm. Well, I did write him back. A for effort and all. Nothing came of it though.

The other one I am featuring is this: "You are absolutely stunning and you have the most beautiful smile and amazing eyes I have ever seen in my life and whether I hear from you or not pleasure know that you're smile have made my night for the fact that there's a girl out there to have this natural type of beauty and please keep smiling and have a wonderful day. I would love and be honored to get to know you. Thank you again.

Holy hell. First of all, would punctuation kill you? I mean seriously. Second, talk about laying on the compliments. Guys like this mean well, I am [almost] sure, but this just seems totally insincere. The most beautiful smile and amazing eyes I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE??? The guy is 36 years old. In all his 36 years I really have the most beautiful smile and amazing eyes? Really? I might believe it more if the past 10 guys had not said just about the exact same thing.

I like compliments as much as the next person, but I don't want to here how I have the best or most amazing of anything. Why? Well because we are online and not in person. I could have photo shopped any number of things on a picture to be appealing. Hell, even in person, it's a bit of a stretch. Perhaps I'm a cynic. But there are ways to be original and convey you like the way I look without giving me every compliment you think I want to hear. Maybe some girls go for that, or even need it, but I am not one of them. Pick one compliment. And don't make it sound like I have the best whatever. Just keep it simple. You'll have a better chance of impressing me that way.


Better luck next time boys.

PJ


This entry was posted on Monday, May 04, 2015 at Monday, May 04, 2015 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment