Tough Love and other assorted thoughts  

Posted by Plain Jane

So I am going to talk about two things today :-)

First is this awesome show that Cole mentioned once. Tough Love. I caught an episode from season while I was dog sitting and was sort of not sure of it. Steve, the host, put each of the eight girls up to a jury of guys, explained their worst relationship issue and they had the guys judge them dateable or undateable. I guess I found the idea of telling a girl she is undatable sort of...well, not good. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate tough love as much as the next person (probably more so actually), but in a society where girls are up against so much mentally (and physically), it seemed extra harsh - especially the way they did it.

So I was all ready the write it off...but then I took a look at the first season...like the whole first season. Actually I just finished watching the last episode of season 1...and I'm ready for season 2. What changed my mind?

I saw how much some of the girls changed. Steve's rules, when applied seemed to work pretty well. Its not an exact science and the rules aren't always going to apply to every person/situation...but when generally applied, they seemed to work. Plus, it was just funny. I reminded of why I hate girls and drama (wow, there was a lot of crying!!!), but I concede that 8 weeks locked in a house with 7 other girls and almost no outside interaction - I'd probably be some crying dramatic fool too. ;-) And, for a girl who has never dated, I got to see a bunch of normal girls go out on dates - not some movie fantasy - but real awkward dates. Definitely helpful!

Anyway, so I like the show. I like Steve's idea of tough love. I am looking forward to watching season 2.

Second....after watching TL I went online to amazon.com because Steve and his mom wrote a book on the subject. And of course one book led to another (in the search, I mean) and I found tons and tons and tons of books about dating. "Why You Aren't Finding Mr. Right" or "What It Takes to Find Mr. Right." hmmmm.

Cole once pointed out (and so did a guy in one of the reviews, I might add) that if it were so easy and one book could make it happen, then that author would be crazy rich and there would be no single people.

Love isn't a formula. It can't be found in a book, or several. So I was thinking - should I read one? I mean, I'm not going to put my whole life up in this book, believing that if I just read all 350 pages it will bring me divine inspiration and I'll find love as soon as I turn the last page. I mean, that's not reality! But I thought, well, I'm a psych major so at the very least it could be insight into perspective (as in other people's) and maybe give me things to think about that I hadn't before. After all, when I was watching TL I would often form an opinion about the girl's situation only to have Steve put it completely differently. It didn't always change my mind, but it made me think - and thinking is a very good thing (not to be confused with over thinking, btw, which is very, very bad).

So the answer is yes. I bought a book. Two actually. One was a book called Decoding Love. I bought it because they discussed psych, neuroscience and picked apart theories...even if I never found love, it would be an interesting book to read (yes, that's the nerdy academic in me)! the other one I bought was "If I Am So Wonderful, Why Am I Still Single." In reviews most people seemed to love this book, which was a good point. Ironically, most didn't like the title, but that's whats led me to choosing it. I mean, its something I have thought so many, many times. Every time a person tells me how wonderful I am, actually. :-P And no, I don't expect the book to change my life or bring me love instantaniously (or at all for that matter, it's a book, not a magic spell!)....but like I said, its a different perspective and who ever went wrong from having an open mind and trying something new?

In other thoughts...for awhile I had taken a break from seeking out people online. Not a long break or whatever...but between talking with Cole, James and Chef Boy'RD (poor guy didn't even get a real name yet) I just thought that three was enough guys to be getting along with for the present moment. Well, Cole read my blog about him and decided to say adios (for good this time), James...I don't know what the hell is up in that situation and Chef Boy'RD and I have slowly fizzled out. So I am stepping back into the ring, if you will - searching and seeking profiles and people. After watching TL I think that I'll do ok. After all, if those girls can fix themselves for a real shot then I probably can too. It's all about staying positive!

So, look forward to more stories soon (hopefully anyway). :-)

-PJ

This entry was posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 at Sunday, January 03, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment